Sunday, May 24, 2009

Awaiting summer

So to continue on the last post, here I am. Finally with a plane ticket to Dharamsala, an entry visa on its way and a long, new road of experiences for me. I still can't believe that I'll be going to India on the 25th of June and still won't believe it until I get there.

Cross Cultural Solutions places their volunteers in areas which they feel best fit the volunteer's skills. For example: teaching, health, women empowerment and other areas in which the community could benefit from. Hopefully I am placed in teaching English to younger students because that way I can provide and be provided with an interchanging language setting. I can teach English and pick up Hindi from the students, since my level will be lower than a kid's. =P

Hopes and fears? I'm scared of not being able to enjoy myself because of barriers. I can't speak the language, I don't really know the culture, a new and foreign cuisine, and I am an outsider looking in. When choosing India, I knew that I would need to pick up on Hindi which I was not afraid of doing. I could have chosen an area in Latin America, or even Russia (being that I know some) but instead I wanted to challenge myself. I hope to be somewhat proficient in Hindi by the end of my 6 week journey in Dharamsala, India. I hope to know a lot more of the ins and outs of India, learn some more about Bollywood, as well as more about myself.

So here I wait; for something new and scary. A flight half way around the world, or completely around the world? To an area unknown to me but only known by textbooks and classes. And a new experience that will rock my very core. Fasten your seat belts?

No comments:

Post a Comment